Today, Node.js is rightfully considered one of the leading web development platforms, and most web tools, servers, and clients work with it. But let's take a closer look. Is Node.js Still Relevant For Your Startup in 2022?
What is Node.js?
The list of companies using Node.js is constantly growing. It has over 300 well-known companies such as PayPal, Medium, Trello, Uber, Zendesk, and many others.
Main Benefits of Node.js
Application in many Hosting Services. Node.js environment is available for many hosting providers.
Asynchrony. Node.js is based on asynchrony. In addition to non-blocking I/O, a Node.js server application can serve many more client requests per unit of time than a similar application developed with most other server development technologies.
Rich standard library. The platform initially had a wide range of features, and the library is replenished and improved in new versions.
How and Where Use Node.js?
This platform is often used for web services requiring intensive information exchange with users, including chats, collaboration systems, social networks, etc. Many programs built with Node.js consist of a server-side and a client-side.
We recommend using Node.js in such fields as:
- Real-Time Apps
- Data Streaming
- Servers API
- DevOps Projects
Node.js is highly scalable and lightweight, which is why it is a favorite for microservice architectures. In such an architecture, you can add a new architecture or fix an existing architecture without affecting other parts of the application. Node.js is well suited for designing such architectures with Node modules, which are the building blocks of Node.js functionality. This architecture allows applications to be developed, processed, operated, and tested independently, freeing you from infrastructure risks.
Get inspired by our blog post - “How to move from a monolithic architecture to microservices”
Challenges When Working With Node.js
Problems with large requests
Node.js is fast with many lightweight requests that don’t require long data processing, complex calculations, etc. But its performance drops significantly if the requests require large server resources. However, there is a built-in ability to create clusters from single-threaded processes, special utilities for load balancing, automatic restart of operations, and control over memory usage in modern versions of Node.js.
Due to its asynchronous nature, Node.js relies heavily on callbacks, functions that run after each task in the queue has been completed. Therefore, keeping several tasks in the line can significantly complicate the program, making it difficult to understand the code.
Looking for a Node.js development team?
Fill in the form and our Technical Specialist will contact you.
Alternatives to Node.js
Though Node.js is quite widespread, there are several known technologies that are considered competitors of Node.js.
Although ASP.NET has an entirely different principle of operation and is a platform for creating web services (and not an environment for running code and connecting modules), it is often used to solve tasks similar to Node.js. One of the main differences is a different approach to the distribution of calculations. In Node.js, everything is performed on a single thread but with asynchronous I/O. ASP initially worked in multi-threaded mode and synchronous I/O. Also, the main thing ASP.NET is seriously inferior to Node.js is the ease of deployment.
Ruby on Rails
Ruby on Rails is known for its simplicity and its ecosystem of custom Rails packages. It is an intuitive and beginner-friendly language with solid community support at RubyGems. In addition, its database management capabilities are awe-inspiring: unlike Node.js, which uses additional packages, Rails has the necessary functions built-in out of the box.
While Rails can't compete with the performance and scalability of Node, the language may be the best choice for rapid development.
Will Node.js be in demand in 2022?
We are sure this platform will remain popular for several years. As we previously mentioned, many IT giants use this platform. Few open source projects have ever enjoyed such strong support from the world's leading corporations. And this is proof of the outstanding potential of Node.js.
Here are some statistics to demonstrate the promising future of Node.js:
- More than 30 million online sites use Node.js (W3 Tech)
- Node.js is currently used in more than 85 countries (Node.js)
- Node.js ensured a decrease of loading time by 60% (Hackernoon)
- Organizations that applied Node.js reported a 58% reduction in development costs (Netguru)
Top Node.js trends to watch in 2022
1. GraphQL. GraphQL is a query language used by client applications to work with data. it is a system independent of data sources, that is, for the organization of its work, it does not matter where exactly the data is stored. It is considered the most interesting and applied technology in app development in 2022.
2. MEAN and MERN Stacks. The two eminent stacks MEAN (MongoDB, Express.js, Angular, Node.js) and MERN (MongoDB, Express.js, React.js, Node.js) will keep their leading positions in app development in 2022. They are robust solutions for building dynamic and single-page web applications.
3. Cloud services and serverless architecture. Today, cloud solutions are very popular, and everyone wants to use them in their projects. Cloud computing has already become an integral part of development thanks to Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform. So serverless architecture is the logical next step in cloud development, the goal of which is to accelerate the transformation and reduce costs. Node.js is easily integrated into the cloud platforms with serverless architecture services.
Node.js is the ideal technology for programmers and plays an essential role in the technology stack. It is the first and best choice for creating interactive games, chat programs, collaboration tools, instant messaging, and more. This platform will definitely remain the leader in this industry for several years.
If you want to use Node.js in your project, feel free to contact Axon software development company. Our dedicated team of engineers will help you in realizing your ideas!